AN IMMODEST PROPOSAL

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I have followed the discussion of the proposed 15-story building in Harvard Square with absorbed interest, and I offer the following proposals. Though perhaps not desirable for every state in the Union, it is nonetheless quite clear that the only solution for Massachusetts is to turn it into a wildlife preserve. Such a conversion takes time, and my critics will probably feel it should be done in stages. I agree; in fact, so as not to do anything drastic and to avoid favoritism, it would seem prudent to dismantle Massachusetts civilization following as nearly as possible reverse chronological order. In order to be effective, of course, strict cooperation from all sides, including Harvard, must be rigidly enforced.

Thus the area will be soon rid of such features as the MTA tunnel and the city parking lot, which, as we have been reminded recently, are on part of Cambridge Common. Also slated for immediate removal would be the Sullivan-backed Tread-way Motel. From the Harvard scene we would soon see the passing of Leverett Towers, Quincy, Littauer, Gordon McKay, and the embryonic medical center--lamentable, but everyone's cooperation is needed if the project is to go through. Actually, if strict reverse order is to be maintained, the tower on Memorial Hall should be restored, and Farlow House should be reconstructed--before, of course, being torn down again.

My critics, granting the above, might allege that this process will create unemployment in Massachusetts and is therefore unsound. However, a moment's consideration will reveal that, in the initial stages at least, employment will be increased. Dismantling the various buildings is a large task, reasonable care being taken so as not to endanger incipient wildlife, and the holes must be dug deep to deposit the remains of buildings and other accoutrements of present Massachusetts civilization: We do not happily contemplate rediscovery of this phase of life by future generations. Displaced biologists will aid in marshalling wild animals and planting trees in waste spaces. After these considerations have been applied those remaining unemployed shall be trained (by displaced sociologists) to become Indians. These people will then interact with the wildlife in the classical manner and thereby maintain the ecological balance. James N. Pinkerton.