Pusey Defends University's Role In Urban Renewal for Cambridge

Cites Deep Concern In City Development

By Robert E. Smith

President Pusey yesterday defended the University's role in Cambridge urban renewal. He said that those who have called the University's conduct in community building projects hypocritical are "less judicious and objective critics" than those who support the University's efforts.

"Harvard has a deep and continued concern for development of the Square area and the rest of city," Pusey maintained. Critics have cited the institution's objections to the 15-story building on stilts, to a plan to build over the Charles River near MIT, and to a proposed office building on Church St. as evidence that the University preaches urban renewal in the classrooms but in practice vetoes urban development around its property.

"The record shows," the President said, "that we have been good neighbors."

Keeper of the "record," and Pusey's Assistant for Civic Affairs, Charles P. Whitlock, listed several examples of what Pusey termed "the University's help and guidance in city development."

Whitlock gave as examples the new Medical Center, which will provide office space for outsiders; Pusey's "build-high" policy; the University offer--denied by the city--to contribute to the construction of a parking garage; the University's bringing IBM to the area; and its promise to use part of the MTA yards for tax-bearing purposes.

The University does not do enough in that direction, Whitlock admitted. "No one in Cambridge gets together to do anything except to oppose something," Whitlock said; "and the University is as bad as any other citizen."