Late Northeastern Rally Downs Varsity Nine, 5-4

The baseball team scored four runs on five hits in the first inning against Northeastern yesterday, but it was not enough to win. The Hunkies bounced back on runs in the sixth and seventh innings to best the Crimson 5-4.

Mike Drummey led off for Harvard in the first inning, and hit a single to right field Dick Shima followed with a double off the right field fence, 320 feet away. Dave Morse and Al Martin grounded out, and then Charlie Ravenel knocked a dribbler down the third base line for a single. Drummey scored on the play.

Phil Bernstein, still batting .500, hit a single to center field, and Dick Diehl matched his effort. Shima, Ravenel and Bernstein scored. Bill Gilmore struck out to close the inning.

The game than settled down to a defensive battle, and neither team had errors. Then in the sixth inning, Northeastern came back to score four runs. In the seventh, their pitcher took the first ball of the inning and hit it 320 feet into left field to score the winning home run. The Crimson staged a last minute rally, and found Shima on first, with two outs and Morso at bat. Shima tried to steal second in order to get into scoring position, and was thrown out to end the game.

The Crimson finished with a total of 11 hits to Northeastern's seven; Bernstein, Ravenel, Drummey and Shima all had two each. Drummey started at third base, and excelled at that position. Gilmore played his first varsity game in right field, and although he was hitless for the day, he played well defensively.

Al Yarbro went all the way for the Crimson on the mound. He allowed seven hits and one walk.

The Northeastern loss means that Harvard is now 1-1 in the Greater Boston League. The next varsity encounter is with Columbia on Saturday.