Crimson Lacrosse Team Trounces Bowdoin by 16-2 Margin Saturday

Freshmen Beat M.I.T., 14-5

By Peter A. Derow

As the varsity lacrosse team ran Bowdoin ragged Saturday, the only question for the spectators was the final score, and even that seemed a bit irrelevant. The Polar Bears never had a chance in the 16-2 Crimson victory.

It was a beautiful afternoon, and the large crowd saw a well-played first half, at the end of which the score read Crimson 10, Bowdoin 1. Then the weather grew colder, the play became sloppier, and some of the spectators headed downstream to watch the heavyweight crew whip Syracuse and Brown. But the kids here for the annual PBH kiddies day stayed until the bitter end.

Bowdoin got possesion of the ball at the opening faceoff, failed to score, and rarely held the ball for the remainder of the half. Then attackman Dave Bohn claimed the first of the 16 Crimson tallies at 2:00, shoveling a deflected shot by midfielder Joe Prahl back into the nets.

Gul Bamford continued the spree at 4:28, picking up a pass from Pete Sieglaff on the right in front of the crease, faking, and stuffing it into the upper left corner of the nets, past an amazed Bowdoin goalie.

6-0 After First Period

By the time the period was over, Captain Tadhg Sweeney, Sieglaff, John Reese, and Woody Spruance each had contributed one goal in that order, leaving the score six to nothing.

Spruance and Bohn each threw one into the nets at the start of the second period, followed by Grady Watts at 6:51 and again at 11:40. Bowdoin collected its first tally of the ballgame at 13:20 on a play from Bob Bertholf to Jack Snyder.

Watts converted passes from Bamford and Spruance at the start of the second half, making the score 12 to 1. Then coach Bruce Munro, in an effort to keep the score down and stop the game from deteriorating, told his men: "Set it up. Don't score unless from a setup. . ." In the course of three minutes, Louchheim, Bamford, and Reese answered with three more tallies.

Munro pulled goalie Gil Leaf out of the nets and put him in Bohn's slot at crease-attack. Bob Bland went in at goalie for Leaf, and defensemen Henry Field, Dave Grannis, and Arnie Margoluis took over for the mdfielders.

Last Crimson Score

Field wasted no time in converting a pass from Grannis into his first and the varsity's last tally. Bowdoin's Ted Fuller followed at 6:38 with the Polar Bear's second and final goal.

The Bowdoin coach, Nels Corey, didn't seem overly dismayed. He noted that the Polar Bears had only three days of outdoor practice prior to the game, and that he welcomed the chance to have his players encounter a superior unit.

In a game on the opposite side of the Business School flats, the freshman lacrosse team, paced by high-scoring Lou Williams, defeated the M.I.T. freshmen, 14 to 5.

Wednesday the varsity plays Tufts at Medford, Saturday it will meet Penn here.