Debate Continues Over Cuba Ads

The group of senior Faculty members who recently criticized the Government's Cuban policy continued to evoke controversy over the week-end.

Last Thursday, the Cuban Revolutionary Council ran "an open letter to the Harvard Professors..." in the New York Times which explicitly questioned the Professors' facts, and implicitly questioned their motives and reasoning. The advertisement also challenged the Faculty to a debate.

Dr. Enrique Heurtas, President of the Cuban University Professionals in Exile, appeared in Boston Saturday to arrange a discussion concerning the debate.

Just as he was reiterating the Council's claim that "the real issue is United States intervention vs. Soviet expansion," word came from Washington that the Council leaders had named a different representative to negotiate arrangements for the debate.

Squabbles among the exile leaders continued as one faction issued a newsletter accusing Dr. Manuel Ray, supposedly the furthest left of the antiCastro leaders, of having instigated the original statement of protest during his recent visit to Harvard.

Dr. Heurtas had no comment on Ray, but when asked why the statement had caused such a furor, he said, "It wouldn't if it had come from the University of Moscow."