Varsity Hockey Squad Triumphs 3-2 Over B.C.

By Bruce M. Reeves

The goal that gave the varsity hockey team a 3-2 win over Boston College last night was, according to center Gene Kinasewich who scored it, a "garbage goal."

A hockey technician might agree with him since he scored it from behind the cage on a shot which hit the goalie's stick and dribbled into the nets. But the Crimson victory at McHugh Forum was hardly a "garbage" one -- rather, it was undoubtedly the most deserved win of the season.

After practically giving the Eagles a two-goal lead on unassisted tallies at 2:10 and 7:27 of the first period, the Crimson team warmed up like it never has before and "played like a hockey team."(That statement is coach Cooney Weiland's.)

Soon after the rather disheartening beginning, the varsity picked up its sticks and let Boston College have it. The sextet struck hard and often, although it was limited to one goal per period. Until the last half of the final stanza, the Eagles were forced to resort to a style of play that was at least 75 per cent defensive.

On the wave of constant attack by his team, Gerry Jorgenson back handed in the first Crimson goal at 15:12 on a rebound of a hard drill of linemate Tim Taylor. After that the Crimson fans knew their team was not going to let the game just slip away.

Both the B.C. and Crimson goalies played important roles in the opening period and remained busy throughout the game. Godfrey Wood had nine saves to seven for the Eagles' Charlie Driscoll but practically none of these stops was an easy one. The game totals for the netminders were almost identical, 28 for Wood and 27 for Driscoll.

At least three or four times both goalies were called on to stop breakaway shots without the comforting protection of a husky defenseman. Each netminder missed once.

Driscoll's failure in this category was the Crimson's second goal. At 12:12 of 'he second period defenseman Mike Patterson picked up a loose puck in the center zone, worked it past two B.C. skaters and shot a pass to Dave Morse who was racing down on the right wing. That one tied the score.

Kinasewich's "garbage goal" in the third period happened like this. He snatched the puck away from a B.C. player near the Eagle blue line, squeezed by a defenseman into the B.C. zone and headed for the right side of the cage. At this point he met some opposition from a second defenseman and decided to try a pass in front of the cage.

"Evidently their goalie figured I was going to pass, too," Gene said after the game, "but I guess he just didn't realize how he was holding his stick. I call it a garbage goal but really we missed so many we should have had that I didn't feel too badly about it." He was smiling when he said that.

If the team's offense was clicking well last night, it certainly did not overshadow the defense. After those first two B.C. goals, the squad never let down once. Of course Wood used the post to stop a few shots and the tip of his skate to kick away two or three others, but that's expected from an outstanding goalie.

Particularly significant in the team's defensive play were the great shows Dave Morse, captain Dave Grannis, Ron Thomson and Dave Johnston put on in the final period to kill three near-fatal Crimson penalties.

Season Record 9-3

The victory was the team's ninth against three losses and gave it some sort of a claim on the college hockey supremacy of New England if not of the entire East.

In the preliminary game, the Crimson J.V. team, undefeated in eight games, whipped the Boston College freshmen, 4 to 0. Earlier in the day the Crimson freshman team edged out Andover, 3 to 2.