The squash team slapped a resounding 9-0 defeat on Cornell Friday, winning all but two individual matches in consecutive games.
Only Hampy Howell at number two and Clark Grew at nine had any difficulty whatsoever. Both needed five games. Howell won two of the first three, and came within a point of taking the fourth before losing it by 16-17. He took the fifth, 15-11.
The victory was the fifth of the season for the Crimson and brought a half to squash team activity until after vacation. On Tuesday, February 6, the varsity will resume action against Amherst. The Jeffs are good enough to have collected two individual wins while losing a team match to Yale earlier this season, and should take at least this much from the Crimson.
Yale and Princeton will be the main problems facing Coach Jack Barnaby's team in the remainder of the Spring Term.
1. Sullivan (H) defeated Steinglass (C); 15-5, 15-12, 15-13.
2. Niederhoffer (H) defeated Kortman (C); 15-12, 15-6, 15-13.
3. Howell (H) defeated Cohen (C); 15-5, 8-15, 15-11, 16-17, 15-11.
4. Wiegand (H) defeated Norwood (C); 15-6, 15-7, 15-5.
5. Vinton (H) defeated Kershbaum (C); 18-13, 15-8, 15-3.
6. Walter (H) defeated Merril (C); 15-9, 15-1, 15-7.
7. Williams (H) defeated Taylor (C); 15-7,15-4, 15-10.
8. Nelson (H) defeated Sommers (C); 15-5, 15-10, 15-10.
9. Grew (H) defeated Murphy (C); 15-5, 15-8, 11-15, 16-17, 15-9.