Harvard Fails to Hire Cambridge Police Chief

By Robert E. Smith

The Administration has unsuccessfully sought to lure the Cambridge Chief of Police away from his position to take over the University Police. Daniel J. Brennan, Chief of Police in the city for four years, is now aiding University officials in their search for a successor to Captain Matthew J. Toohy.

Toohy, a long-time member of the 25-man force, will retire shortly for reasons of health and move to another Department of the University.

According to an Administrative official, the University asked Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 and City Manager John J. Curry '19 whether the city could afford to lose Brennan. The answer from City Hall was "No," and so the University started to look elsewhere. A Boston newspaper said that Harvard approached the Chief of Police, who then declined the offer.

Brennan will now advise Cecil B. Roberts, Director of Buildings and Grounds, who is in charge of filling Toohy's position. Roberts has reportedly interviewed several candidates already.

Brennan, 53, has had a career similar to Toohy's; each worked his way up through the ranks of the force. Brennan has been with the Cambridge Police for 30 years.

Brennan will presumably play an important part in the selection of a new Chief of the University Police. The University Police work closely with the city force and are sworn in as constables of the Cambridge Police. Thus, they are enpowered to make arrests in the vicinity of the Yard.