UAC to Disclose Report on NCAA After Faculty Decides Hockey Issue

FCAS Decision Expected Feb. 5

The Undergraduate Athletic Council's NCAA hockey report, submitted to the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports last week after unanimous approval from the UAC, will be kept confidential until the FCAS makes its decision, Mark Woodbury, president of the UAC, has announced.

"We have gone to a lot of trouble making up this report," Woodbury commented. "And we don't want the Faculty to have to consider it in the light of press comments and interpretations."

Out of respect for the UAC, "we're doing all we can to minimize outside pressures which could affect the Committee's decision one way or another," Woodbury continued. "We're trying to keep our side of this recommendation as honest and as objective as possible--hoping, of course, that the Faculty will reciprocate by telling us its reasons for the decision this year."

(The Faculty Committee has never said why it has kept the hockey team out of consideration for the NCAA tournament the past two years.) This season marks the first time the FCAS has welcomed a recommendation from the UAC.

The FCAS is expected to announce its decision--and, hopefully, its reasons for its decision--after its next meeting on Feb. 5. At that time the UAC will make public its recommendations.

Last week members of the UAC gave the report to each of the ten members of the FCAS: Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics and Chairman of the Committee; John M. Bullitt '43, Master of Quincy House and associate professor of English; Dana L. Farnsworth, director of University Health Services; Delmar Leighton '19, Master of Dudley House and member of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences; Seymour E. Harris '20, Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Political Economy.

Also, George B. Kistiakowsky, Abbot and James Lawrence Professor of Chemistry; Dean Monro; Hallam L. Movius Jr. '30, professor of Anthropology; Charles H. Taylor '21, Master of Kirkland House and Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History; and Dean Watson.