Vellucci Switches Vote To Reelect Crane Mayor

By Efrem Sigel

Edward A. Crane '35 was re-elected Mayor on the first ballot by the Cambridge City Council Monday, Crane, who also served as Mayor in '50-'51, is the first man to be elected to be chosen for consecutive terms of office since 1944.

The deciding vote in Monday's election was cast by Councilor Alfred E. Vellucci. Vellucci, one of five independents on the Council, had originally nominated himself. The other four independents voted for Andrew T. Trodden, while Mayor Crane got the support of the four Cambridge Civic Association-backed Councilors. But after the ballotting had produced the 4-4 tie between Crane and Trodden, Vellucci switched his vote to Crane to end the contest.

Crane Lists Problem

After being sworn in for the new team, Mayor Crane issued a statement thanking the Council "for the honor of being elected to the third term." He cited urban renewal, traffic, and town and gown relations as some of the main problems facing the city.

It is always a healthy sign to have unfinished business," Crane said. "In fact it is by their backlog that our cities are measured."

The Council also elected Bernard Goldberg as vice-Mayor. He replaces Trodden, who has held the job for the past two years. Goldberg was elected to his first term on the Council this November.

Because Monday was New Year's Day the Council postponed selection of the Cambridge City Manager. The election will probably take place at the Council's regular meeting on Monday.

Re-Election a Surprise

Previous Cambridge Mayoral elections have varied in length, with some retiring hundreds of ballots and lasting until April or May before a final decision could be made. In recent years the custom has been to rotate the job of Mayor, so Crane's re-election comes as something of a surprise.

When Crane was elected in 1960 seven ballots were needed before he could gain a majority. Curiously enough, Councilor Vellucci broke that deadlock also, switching his vote to Crane on the seventh ballot after voting for himself six times.