Hughes Debates Lodge; Kennedy Fails to Show

By Bruce L. Paisner

Republican George Cabot Lodge and Independent H. Stuart Hughes argued, pleaded, and disagreed for over an hour Saturday night in one of the most significant debates of modern American politics.

As both candidates had promised, it was a serious debate "on the issues," and despite a large, unruly, and disconcerting audience of Hughes supporters, Lodge and Hughes were occasionally able to rise above the usual personalities and platitudes.

Democrat Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy never did show up at John Hancock Hall, reportedly because of a "scheduling conflict." But an empty podium with no name on it was left on stage throughout the debate. Explained one Lodge aide: It would be presumptuous to put Kennedy's name on the podium since he did not accept the challenge, and presumptuous to leave it off since he never declined."

After opening jibes at their Democratic opponent's absence, Lodge and Hughes moved onto a series of sharp exchanges on world problems from the Cold War to Cuba and from foreign aid to disarmament.

Hughes drew angry protest from the Lodge cheering section only once, when he urged that the United States "restore normal diplomatic relations with Cuba," then get the Soviets to agree to withdraw their missles if "we get out of Guantanamo Bay."

When Hughes asserted that "the rising neutrals in the world no longer want the leadership of the United States," Lodge countered that "we must use our greater intelligence network to let the neutals know what's wong with Communism."

After an outburst of laughter from the audience. Hughes condemned the Central Intelligence Agency's "fashion of overthrowing governments at its discretion" and claimed that "the ordinary newspaper reader has more good sense than the directors of the CIA."

Questions Cold War Victory

Hughes questioned the topic of the debate, "The Cold War Can Be Won," and insisted that most people "want to transcend the Cold War," thus "finding a way out of it."

Lodge retorted that "the Cold War is there, and we can't pretend it's going away." He urged radical changes in the foreign aid program and called for moves to "organize the peasants" and spread American ideas into underdeveloped countries.

The candidates took predictable positions on disarmament. Hughes demanded "an immediate end to atmospheric testing," a pledge that "we will never be the first to use nuclear weapons," and a declaration by the United States of "nuclear free zones."

"We halted testing once, and the Soviet Union broke the agreement," Lodge declared. He warned that if we make Europe a nuclear free zone, the Soviets "can with impunity use conventional troops throughout Europe."

The debate was broadcast by WGBH-TV and WGBH and WHRB radio. It reached an audience in about a 65 mile radius from Boston. At the conclusion of the debate, Lodge called for further debates "among all three candidates," but no further confrontations have been announced.