Kennedy Library May Be Near B-School

The Kennedy Library, to house the student's official papers, will probably be built on a site at Western Ave., next to the Harvard Business School, the CRIMSON learned yesterday. The building will front on the Charles River.

Last spring, Arthur M. Schlesinger, '38, special adviser to the President reported that the library would built either next to the Business School or on a corner of Soldiers Field at the bend in the Charles River near Eliot Bridge.

Schlesinger favored the Soldiers Field site "because of its commanding position." The President himself is in to favor the Soldiers Field site, because Longfellow Park, directly across the River from the site, will create an impressive mall, leading from the library to Longfellow Park.

The President's desires have, however, been snagged by Henry Wads-worth Longfellow himself. The Soldiers Field site was given to the University by Longfellow under a deed which limits its use strictly to "meadows or College buildings" and specifies that any building constructed must not provide an obstruction to the view from Longfellow House.

University lawyers, after much careful study of Longfellow's deed of gift and tentative plans for the library, have decided that the building cannot legally be built on the Soldiers Field site.

When Kennedy first announced his decision to build his library at the University last November, officials suggested the Bennett St. MTA Yards and the area near the Corporal Burns Playground in the Houghton area down-river from Dunster House as possible sites.

But since that time, the University has decided to use the Corporal Burns area for its high-priority Married Students Housing project. And hopes have dimmed considerably that the University will be able to buy the MTA Yards by 1968, when Kennedy plans to leave the Presidency.

The Business School site may present space problems. Widener experts have estimated that an eight-acre area will be needed to house the Kennedy collection, and this summer the University gave part of the land to WGBH for a new broadcasting studio.

University officials indicated yesterday that Harvard may have to purchase additional land in the area to provide parking space for automobiles using the library.