Williams Double Teams Ohiri To Upset Harvard Soccermen

By Robert A. Ferguson

Playing before a crowd of 2000 partisan fans, a strong Williams soccer team soared two goals in the last two minutes of action, yesterday, to whip the Crimson 1 to 2. The defeat was the first of the season for coach Bruce Munro's booters and could cost them the New England Championship.

The Williams eleven, was never behind in the contest, outrunning the varsity and holding Crimson center Chris Ohiri to just one goal. Ohiri managed is shots in four quarters of play, but three of his efforts scored over the goal postal. It wasn't until 6:00 of the third period that the Nigerian ace solved Williams' double teaming tactics for the varsity's lone score.

The Crimson opened the scoring at 21:05 of the first period on a shot that squirted out of goalie Wally Whitney's hands into the nets. The rest of the first half was scoreless, with a lot of play around the midfield line.

Time and again fullbacks Lou William and Terry Winslow turned back William drives, while Whitney made good saves on the shots that got through. Center halfback and captain Tony Davies set up several varsity threats only to have them stopped short by Ephman fullbacks deep in Williams territory.

Ohiri managed to elude his two defensemen long enough to tie the score at 1 to 1 in the third period. But slippery footing and the hard running tactics of Williams' first, second, and third teams kept the varsity from clicking again all afternoon.

Gradually the superior depth of the Williams squad began to show, and fluch of the fourth period was spent on the Crimson side of the midfield line. At 10:00, a loose ball scramble in front of the Harvard nets pulled goalie Whitney out of the goal, allowing Ephman Dave Wilson's chance shot to score.

Sixty seconds later, Ben Kofi made it 2 to 1 for Williams on another free-for-all in front of the varsity goal. Ken's shot ended Crimson hopes as well as the scoring and a minute later Williams had its second straight victory over Munro's varsity in as many years.

In spite of the loss, the Crimson got off more shots yesterday than it did in either of its previous two victories. Along with Ohiri's 12 attempts, inside left Steve Sewed and outside left Mike Kramer took three shots each. But like most of Ohiri's, these shots went wide of their mark.

Of his team's defeat, coach Munro said "There aren't very many teams in the country that are better than we are, but there are a few. Williams was one today." Pointing out that it was a tie ball game until the final moments, he added "they might not have been better on another day."

But it will be another year before the Crimson gets a second crack at the Ephmen and the varsity has a game with Amherst Saturday and an Ivy League Championship to think of before then.