Consuls From Britain, France Discuss Views On Common Market

The British and French consuls in Boston stayed away from most of the major areas of disagreement between their governments, when they spoke on the issue of the Common Market at the Quincy House Forum last night.

M. Jean Savelli, Consul General for France, and Mr. James A. D. Stuart-Robinson, acting Consul General of the United Kingdom, agreed upon the "impressive effects" of the Common Market, but they merely hinted at the differences which have brought negotiations on British entry to the Market to a momentary standstill.

Savelli congratulated the British on their "wonderfully realistic attitude" in seeking membership in the Common Market, and Stuart-Robinson responded by saying that "earlier hesitations" of the British had been dispelled when the Common Market proved practicable.

The admission of Great Britain to the Common Market would not threaten the founding philosophy of the Market, Savelli said. But he emphasized that "this decision is an abandonment of European sovereignty."

Speaking for the British people, Stuart-Robinson said that "the majority do not want total disappearance of national sovereignty." He said that the most important point lay in the decision to seek continental ties, and not in "just grafting Great Britain onto the rump of Europe."

"By the beginning of next year," Stuart-Robinson estimated, "it may be possible to determine whether we can accept membership."

Carl J. Friedrich, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, was moderator.