Kennedy Aid Rejects Plea For Debates

By Hendrik Hertzberg

Gerald F. Doherty '50, eastern Massusetts campaign manager for the Kennedy for Senate campaign, last that threw up his hands and turned be petitions signed by 1705 Harvard rents asking the Democratic candidate to debate with his opponents, Republican George Cabot Lodge and Independent H. Stuart Hughes.

It was the second time Doherty had used the petitions, which were presented to him by Harry F. Greene '63, president of the Young Demorcratic Club Harvard and Radcliffe, and Peter J. Wallison '63, president of the Harvard Young Republican Club. Earlier, at a meeting in Phillips Brooks House sponsored by Harvard Students for Kennedy, Doherty told Wallison and Green that they should mall in the petition.

Wallison and Greene made the second attempt to present the petition to the plestown state representative as he the Students for Kennedy meeting. Doherty, angered by the presence of baton Globe photographer, stormed them.

In the students for Kennedy meeting, party was asked why Kennedy has need the invitation of the other two dates to debate. Saying the different chiefly lay in "what you mean by debate." Doherty claimed that the at suggested by Lodge and Hughes had turn the proposed debates into a pease fire drill."

It that Mr. Lodge is so concerned the can't get a crowd, or is he just ;azu and wants somebody to hold his hand all the time?" asked the Kennedy group.

Terms Hughes 'Frivolous'

Party also attacked the candidacy Stuart Hughes, calling him a very coleus candidate." He compared as to Lar Daly, a perennial Illions seeker who campaigns in an Uncle suit, and spoored him for "having a since rest this summer while the of the candidates were out meeting people as they should."

A potential student campaign worker asked Doherty what one should say when they ask why Kennedy would make a good senator.

Tell them he's dynamic, vigorous, interested in their problems, and will do more for Massachusetts," Doherty said.

It what if they ask why he can do it. Do I just turn away?"

A couple of places, you've got to think pretty fast," replied Doherty.