Last Year's Game

Records say that Harvard and Columbia were Ivy League co-champions in 1961, but the score of last year's Harvard-Columbia game says that the Lions were a better team at least early in the season. Columbia trounced the Crimson 26-14 in Cambridge on Oct. 21.

Columbia may have enough skill to win the game by itself but to assure a Lion victory, the generous Harvard eleven set up two of the opposing team a touch-downs. Already leading 6-0 in the second period, Columbia recovered a wild Crimson pass from center on the home team's 19 yard line and went on to score on a nine yard end sweep by Tom Haggerty.

Harvard stayed in contention until the middle of the fourth quarter when the Lions' Warren intercepted a lateral by Bill Humenuk. Columbia scored their final touchdown a few plays later.

Despite the loss, Harvard gave some indication of the spark they were to exhibit later in the season. Humenuk and end Pete Hart clicked for a spectacular touchdown pass play, and backs Bill Taylor and Chuck Reed were outstanding in Harvard third period 70 yard scoring drive.