Varsity Harriers Upset Opponents

The varsity cross country team, a complete question mark in pre-season training, has become one of the north's running powers through two upset victories in as many weeks. Coach Bill McCurdy's harriers have defeated both Cornell and highly touted Brown under the most trying circumstances.

Running in the mud through rain and wind, the Crimson bested both the Big Red and the Bruins in what coach Bill McCurdy has called "two of the best cross country races I've ever seen."

Face Tough Meet

Out of the Mud at last, the varsity distance men will have their hands full (rain or shine) with the University of Massachusetts on Tuesday. "That will be our toughest race until the Big Three in November," according to McCurdy.

Encouraged by his squad's showing, McCurdy added "The team's desire to win is great, but the boys are still jelling in terms of performance." McCurdy went on to point out that it is difficult to evaluate his team's early season effort. Times were naturally slow because of the weather conditions.

Still the varsity, led by Captain Ed Hamlin and junior Eddle Meehan, enjoys "a depth it hasn't had in three or four years." A McCurdy cross country team has never lost more than three meets in any one season. This year's squad has shown that it is not likely to break that record.