Dedicated Hughes Backers Begin Door-to-Door Campaign Effort

Twelve hundred voters just across the Charles from Harvard will hear their doorbells ringing today, as a determined band of H. Stuart Hughers' supporters confronts them on the door-step.

The 1200, who comprise the entire voting population of Ward 21, Precinct 12, will receive Hughes' campaign statements and questions asking their views on all kinds of world issues.

Working on the district are 12 Harvard and Radcliffe students, who plan to use any means they can think of to arouse interest in Hughes. Hughes is facing Edward M. Kennedy '54 as candidate for U.S. Senator.

One approach may be to ask pointed question. For example, "Do you think there will be a third world war? . . . Would your family survive if the war took place?. . ."

Then voters may get a "yes and no" questionaire containing a list of 12 of Hughes' policies: "The United States and other nuclear powers must not supply nuclear weapons to other powers . . . A 35-hour work week must be exacted . . ."

The purpose of all this effort--besides getting votes for Hughes--is to find out how much effect door-to-door campaigning really has. This is why the campaigners are concentrating on covering complete precincts, not whole voting population.

As for the questionaire, Hughes campaingners don't pretend to be making a survey of public opinion. The questionaire serve rather as a good wedge to keep the door open.