Widener May Install Turnstiles at Portals

Widener Library may install turnstiles at its main entrance to help keep a check on the flow of outgoing books, Foster M. Palmer, Associate Librarian for Circulation and Reference, said yesterday. However, the library is "not definitely planning" to install them at present.

Pointing out that state fire laws restrict the use of turnstiles in public buildings, Palmer said that the legal problems would have to be settled before any action could be taken. Widener has had turnstiles in the past, but they were removed owing to the fire laws.

The need for turnstiles is greatest around 11 a.m., when the checkers at the entrances are unable to keep up with the large numbers of people coming past.

Palmer added that the action, if taken, will not include checking the identification of persons entering the library. We are not yet to the point of stopping people from coming in," he said.

The possibility that rare books might be stolen was not a consideration. Palmer explained that it was unprofitable to steal such items, since they were so hard to dispose of.