College Decides To Enter NDEA

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

Harvard is re-entering the NDEA student loan program. The University should receive its fund allocation for this year some time during December or January.

About $75,000 of the University's expected $240,000 allotment will go to students in the College. Another $75,000 will probably be set aside for the Graduate School of Education, with the remaining funds to be divided between the Divinity School, the Business School, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

President Pusey announced the NDEA decision yesterday afternoon. He pointed out that provision had been made last spring for universities to reserve funds without actually committing themselves to the program, and he said that Harvard had applied then for $320,000.

The University's request topped the NDEA limit by $70,000, but at that time there seemed a chance that Congress would raise the application limit this summer or fall. The limit, however, was not changed; and previous dealings with the government have led Harvard officials to expect that the University will receive most but not quite all, of the money for which it is actually eligible.

Pusey said the Corporation had approved the re-entry at its meeting this Monday. He said that he has not yet informed the government of Harvard's decision but that he would do so within "several days."

Once the government has received word, it is expected to make an official inspection of the administrative machinery by which the University intends to distribute its money. After the inspection has been completed, the government will formally release the funds. The only stipulation will be that Harvard match the federal grant with one ninth as much money from its own resources. A government grant of $240,000, in other words, will mean that about $270,000 in loan funds will be made available to students.

Congress Kills Affidavit

Harvard had originally objected to the National Defense Education Act because of a requirement that all applicants for loans sign an affidavit disclaiming belief in any subversive organization. When this provision was removed near the end of this year's Congressional session, Pusey reopened discussion of the NDEA at meetings of most of the University's major faculties. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences approved re-entry in early October, and during the past two weeks Pusey has obtained consent for NDEA participation from the Business Faculty and the Faculty at the Medical School.

Pusey has consulted individual members of the Faculty of Law, though there has been no regular meeting on the NDEA in that School. The Graduate School of Education approved NDEA participation at a meeting yesterday; though according to Francis Keppel '33, dean of the Faculty of Education, there was "expression of concern" over a still-present clause imposing heavy penalties for subversive organization membership.

Radcliffe's College Council has officially decided to follow Harvard back into the NDEA program, but no decision has been made as to whether to request any independent fund allocation.