St. Nick's Downs Hockey Varsity

By Ronald I. Cohen

The varsity hockey team opened its season on Saturday night with a 3-4 loss to the St. Nicholas Hockey Club. The Crimson line of Lamarche, Treadwell, and Smith scored all three of the Crimson goals.

The teams fought a hard game from the opening face-off. At 4:12 of the first period Harvard defenseman Ron Thomson received a two-minute penalty for forearm blocking. St. Nick's quickly moved into the Crimson end of the rink and when goalie Godfrey Wood carelessly left a rebound lying five feet in front of the net Mike Karin was quick to bang in the loose puck. Assists went to Jim Bostwick and Morris Cheston.

Early in the second period the Lamarche-Treadwell-Smith made a perfect left wing pass to Barry Treadwell, who fired the disc past goalie Van Gerbig into the left side of the not.

Ten seconds after St. Nick's defenseman Morris Cheston was removed from the ice for tripping at 5:10. Bill Lamarche tallied from 25 feet out.

Less than a minute later, pete Bostwick tallied for the visitors when goalie Wood bobbled an easy shot. At 10:10 of the second period the Nicks scored again as Jim Bostwick whipped a screen shot from about 20 feet out into the not.

The Crimson had a bad break at six minutes of the third frame when All-America defenseman Dave Johnston hit on the goal. Baldy Smith brought the post with a shot that Van Gerbig never saw.

The Harvard team continued to press hard and at 16:13 Lamarche picked up his second tally of the night. Treadwell and defenseman Harry Howell assisted crowd to its feet when he missed a hard shot seconds after the tying score.

The score remained tied until 17:17 when goalie Wood was caught napping on Jim Bostwick's bouncing shot from 50 feet out. This proved to be the winning goal.

Ex-Princeton star Van Gerbig played a spectancular game, making 40 saves for St. Nick's, who stretched their undefeated streak to seven games. Crimson backstop Wood had to stop 18 shots.

The next Crimson game will be on Wednesday against Colby College at the Watson Rink