Flourish of Three Second Period Scores Swamps Sluggish White Mule Sextet, 7-1

By Efrem Sigel

The varsity hockey team took on the White Mules of Colby College last night in some of the rainiest hockey weather you'll ever see. The rain didn't seem to bother the Crimson--perhaps because they were playing indoors--and before the game was over they had slapped seven goals past goalie Larry Sawler to hand Colby their fourth straight loss of the season. Colby scored once.

The victory was the first of the season for Harvard, which bowed to the St. Nicholas Hockey Club of New York in their opening game, Saturday.

The Crimson outplayed Colby for the entire game, and literally skated them off the ice in the second period, tallying three goals to none for the Mules, and forcing Sawler to make 15 saves compared to three for goalie Godfrey Wood.

Playing fine offensive hockey, the second line of Bill Lamarche, Barry Treadwell, and Baidy Smith, scored two of the three at 1:41 and 14:13, with Treadwell stuffing both of them in from two feet out on the left side of the cage. The third goal came at 15:14, on a hard shot by Blakey from 20 feet out.

Captain Tim Taylor also scored twice. He took a perfect pass from lke Ikauniks at 7:03 of the first period and poked it past Sawler for the first score of the game. Gerry Jorgenson picked up an assist on the play. Taylor scored again at 2:08 of the final period, again on a pass from Ikauniks.

The prettiest goal of the evening was scored by Colby forward Dave Sveden at 10:11 of the first period. After taking a pass from Herman Hipson, Sveden broke down the left side and drilled a waist-high forehand into the far side of the net. Wood never had a chance.

The goal tied the score, but the varsity went ahead to stay five minutes later. Bill Fryer skidded one along the ice from over near the boards that was deflected in by Bruce Thomas, with Dave Johnston getting the assist.

Defenseman Mike Patterson slapped in the Crimson's last goal at 19:48 of the third period, on assists from Harry Howell and Lamarche. The assist was Lamarche's second; and his sharp stick-handling was one of the reasons for the varsity's domination of play in the second period.

Penalties Hurt Colby

If Colby was outskated and outscored, they did their best to make up for it in the penalty department, picking up five two-minute infractions to three for Harvard. Mule captain John Mechem personally accounted for three of these. He went off at 14:04 of the second period for tripping, and was banished again at 15:27 (after Treadwell had scored his second goal.)

With Wood falling asleep in the nets for Harvard in the third period, Coach Cooney Weiland sent in second string backstop Chris Steedman at 13:00 who made one nice save. Wood had 14 stops, and Colby's Sawier had 39.

In the freshman game Harvard beat Colby 5 to 1.

The varsity's next game is Saturday at 8 p.m. against B.U., at Watson Rink.