Varsity Swimmers Sink Princeton; Seven Records Fall in 58-37 Win

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

Seven records fell at the I.A.B. Saturday as the undefeated Crimson swimmers won a hard-fought victory over a powerful Princeton squad, 58-37.

In the 50-yard freestyle Kaufmann matched Bruce Hunter's varsity record of 21.9 (a national intercollegiate mark until only last year) and eclipsed the old pool record of 22.2. Sophomore Dennis Hunter, who missed second place by a touch, finished a scant tenth of a second behind his brother's pool mark. Kaufmann added another pool record to his list in the 100, with a time of 49.0, tying the old mark set by former Harvard captains Dyer and Hunter.

But Kaufmann was not the hero of the meet. In the backstroke John Pringle was matched against the best pair of competitors on any single team in the world. Both had posted times well under Kaufmann's pool record of 2:04.5, and even a sparkling time by Pringle would probably only earn him a third. But Pringle kept with the Tiger aces all the way, and when the race was over he had somehow stolen second place from Princeton captain Tom Welch.

Sophomore phenomenon Jed Graef shattered the pool record, as expected, by more than three seconds to poet a time of 2:01.4. But no one expected him to heat Pringle by only a touch. The Crimson junior knocked more than four seconds from his previous best to post a time of 2:01.6, followed by Welch's third place time of 2:02.0. The event was the fastest backstroke race ever swum in dual meet competition.

In the 220 Bill Zentgraf shaved half a second from his university mark of 2:05.1 and shattered Yale great Bill 's year-old pool record. Graef was supposed to give him a real battle, but after Zentgraf churned off the first 50 in 23.2 and the hundred in 50.3, Graef was practically out of the race. He finished some two seconds behind Zentgraf's new standard of 2:04.6.

The Tigers' Gardiner Green, last year's EISL breaststrake champion, knocked 2:05.1 seconds from the pool record in the 200 yard breaststroke, with a time of 2:20.0. The Crimson entries couldn't even come close to him.

In the 226 Harry Zentgref did about 2:08, by far his best in the event. In the Individual medley Joe Stets turned in a surprisingly fine second place time of 2:09.3, while a bad turn made Pringle miss the pool record of 2:05.3 by a scant six-tenths of a second. And Henry Turner turned in the best 440 time done by the varsity all fall-it would have been a school record except for the freshmen's phenomenal Dave Abramson.

In the freshman meet, two Crimson stars stood out. Danny Mahoney collected numerous "8's" and even a "9" from the judges, and once again showed that he is Harvard's best diver since Gorman graduated two years ago. Yardling captain Abramson shattered his own record in the 220 with a time of 2:06.7, and set a new freshman and University mark of 4:33.4 in the 440, only to be disqualified because a teammate jumped into the pool to congratulate him before the last Princeton man finished some three lengths later. The disqualification cost the Yardlings meet, 33-45.