Fort Lauderdale Set To Welcome Annual Student Onslaught

Fort Lauderdale, Fla, is already preparing for the annual onslaught of collegiate girls and (mostly) boys in March and April.

"Public spirited citizens are working zealously with municipal officials to offer vacationing undergraduates an interesting and varied recreation and entertainment program," a City Hall release states.

The New York Yankees will play 15 exhibition games at the popular resort town. "With few exceptions, all other day and night activities will center on Fort Lauderdale's well-groomed beach."

The city's recreation department will construct a large stage-bandstand, which during the day will be used for bathing beauty contests and other forms of entertainment, including the popular twist and limbo.

Dr. Clem E. Bininger, chairman of the civic planning group, "envisions a closer relationship between students and residents by offering the latter the opportunity to invite young visitors into their homes, clubs, and churches." Joining students will be "the presidents and deans of several universities and colleges." The educators will be guests of the city's leading hotels."

"As in the past," according to the release, "the city will enforce its customary ordinances governing good conduct."