Penn Disciplines Editor Of Student Newspaper

By Stephen F. Jencks

The University of Pennsylvania last night placed the editor-in-chief of the Daily Pennsylvanian on conduct probation, thus making him ineligible to participate in extracurricular activities and removing him from the paper.

The University Committee on Discipline held the editor, Melvin Goldstein, "primarily responsible for ... an offensive issue of the paper, and feels that his reporting of circumstances surrounding the suspension [of publication] was irresponsible in terms of verification of facts and in terms of concern for the best interest of the University."

Goldstein said that his appearance before the committee centered "primarily on my statements to the press in relation to the suppression." He also charged, "I was led to believe it would be prejudicial to my interests to distribute the Philadelphia edition of the CRIMSON." The 2000 CRIMSONs have not yet been distributed.

Gene D. Gisburne, vice-President of the University for student affairs, replied, "No one has given this impression to the editors," but added, "Their participating in such a distribution would make it even more difficult for the members of the newspaper and the student government to get together."

At the same time, the Philomathean Society, which founded the Daily Pennsylvanian in 1335, passed a resolution to "strongly deplore the arbitrary and unconstitutional suspension of publication and distribution ... we recognize the right ... to publish dissenting views with complete freedom."

Goldstein claimed that two members of the society who talked to Gisburne were told it would be "very distressing" if they participated in distribution of the Philadelphia CRIMSON, and that he would "deal appropriately."

Ivy Papers Protest

Last night the Brown Daily Herald, the Columbia Spectator, and the CRIMSON sent a telegram to Gaylord P. Harnwell, President of the University of Pennsylvania, saying, "We respectfully protest the suspension of the Daily Pennsylvanian, and urge you to reverse this action."

The emphasis in the University's disciplinary action was placed upon a single issue of the Daily Pennsylvanian, an allegedly "smutty" parody of the paper published by the women's college. But Robert F. Longly, dean of men, told the Philadelphia Bulletin Saturday that the issue was a long-standing question of irresponsibility.

Goldstein, however, has refused to accept the University's definition of the issue as one of irresponsibility or poor taste. In a statement last night, he said. "I feel that ... the issue ... is still suppression of a newspaper and censorship in a university community. The committee cited the best interest of the University.' It would seem that the best interest of the University would best be served by restoration of freedom of expression."