S.F. Picket Organizer Points Out 'Errors' in 'Operation Abolition'

All was quiet at Club 47 Monday night, and the showing of "Operation Abolition" went off with little more than occasional hissing or laughter.

A comfortably large crowd showed up at 7 p.m. to watch films of the demonstration protesting HUAC hearings held in San Francisco in 1959.

After the showing, Marshall R. Kaplan, who spearheaded the student picketing and was present at the demonstrations, charged that the film was inaccurate and cited its "errors."

Rioting began, the film narration claims, when a student jumped the picket line and hit a policeman with his own nightstick. This alleged assault was never actually pictured on the film, Kaplan pointed out. He added that the policeman himself admitted that he was not attacked at the beginning of the riot, though he was jumped about ten minutes later.

"There are over 100 distortions in the the film," Kaplan asserted, "but it would do no good to list all the errors, the mistakes, and the lies." Since the purpose of the film was to prove that the demonstration was a communist activity, "in spired, organized, and led by Communists," Kaplan concentrated on proving the contrary.