Squash Tourney To Begin Today; Howe Top-Rated

By Jonathan D. Trobe

Forty-six students from Eastern colleges, and one from McGill University in Montreal, arrived in Cambridge last night to begin competition in the last squash action of the season: the intercollegiate championships. Fifteen colleges are represented in the tournament, which opens at 9:30 a.m. today in Hemenway.

The tournament rolls are stacked with top players--not just the best in college, but some of the best in national rankings. Ralph Howe of Yale, the first seed, is rated fourth in the nation, and right behind him are Jim Zug (Princeton), Don Mills (Trinity), and Bob Hetherington (Yale). All three are ranked in the nation's top fifteen. Harvard's Vic Niederhoffer is seeded fifth.

Colin Adair, the Canadian intercollegiate champ as of last weekend, arrived too late to be seeded, but is expected to be a strong contender as well. He whipped Paul Sullivan (Harvard) 3-0 at number one earlier in the season in the Harvard-McGill match.

In contests scheduled for this morning. Harvard's other entries, Sullivan, Doug Walter, and Lou Williams, will each face Princeton men. At 10:30 Sullivan battles Dave McGuire, who took him to five games this year in a match that could have gone either way.

Niederhoffer has a bye in the first round and will play his first match at 2 p.m. against either George Kilbora (Williams) or Roger Alcaly (Amherst). Niederhoffer has to get past Zug in order to make the semi-finals.

Rounds one and two will be played today; the eighth and quarter finals on Saturday; the semi's are scheduled for Sunday morning, and the finals for Sunday afternoon.