University May Build Modern Science Center

By Bruce L. Paisner

The University may construct a multi-million dollar, high-rise science center to house undergraduate laboratories, research facilities, and offices for all departments in the field of natural sciences, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

According to Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant dean of the Faculty for Business Affairs, "the building would be very large, and might contain modern demonstration classrooms, revolving lecture platforms, closed-circuit television, and other audio-visual aids."

Trottenberg said that the University would build the project on land now occupied by the School of Education at the corner of Oxford and Kirkland St. (across from Lowell Lecture Hall), but he stressed that the Corporation has not yet made any definite commitment to build the Center.

Trottenberg noted that the University "has a heavy need for extensive new facilities for undergraduate laboratory work and scientific research." He also stressed the need of the mathematics and other departments for increased office space.

The Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics would all have extensive space in the new Center, but each department would also retain its present facilities. Trottenberg said that the proposed combined center would be in line with the University's trend towards "putting all departments in the same family in one building."

Some consideration has been given to the possibility of combining the laboratory facilities of several departments. Trottenberg noted that there is "objection from some science people to shared facilities," but asserted that such a policy "could result in a great saving of space."

Trottenberg asserted that laboratory facilities presently used at Radcliffe's Byerly Hall are rapidly becoming outmoded and "are located too far from the University's natural sciences area." He noted that the University began to give serious consideration to augmenting its laboratory facilities after the report of the Ramsey Committee three years ago.