Varsity's Seventeen-Hit Barrage Stops Springfield 13-0

SPRINGFIELD, April 17--A rested and confident Varsity baseball team humbled the highly touted Maroons of Springfield College today. The score was 13 to 3.

The Crimson's hard-working batsmen collected 17 hits before the last Springfield pinch-hitter finally struck out to end the game.

Right-handed ace Al Yarbro, who went the limit on the mound for Harvard, paced the one-sided victory. He held Springfield to five hits and two earned runs, striking out eight while walking five.

Defensively the Crimson infield was as tight as a prepple in the Biltmore bar. Tall first baseman Phil Bernstein committed Harvard's only error, while the inept Maroons booted five.

In spite of the cold weather, Springfield managed to fill the small grandstand with an enthusiastic crowd, which included a small but vocal group of hecklers. When Crimson catcher Dick Diehl dropped a pitch, the fat little Springfield bat boy yelled, "Hey, frog, you slimy, slidey, goofy thing!"

Harvard lost no time taking the lead in the game. Crimson third sacker and leadoff man Mike ("Wolf Man") Drummey began the parade in the top of the first inning with a walk. Terry Bartolet sent him to third with a single, and shortstop Dave Morse bunted himself on base to load them up. Bernstein hit a sacrifice fly, driving in the first Crimson run.

Trying to stop the other baserunners from advancing, Maroon center fielder and All-American prospect Archie Moore threw to third. But no one was there, and Bartolet scored. Curly Combs knocked in another run before the inning ended.

The Crimson scored again in the second and third innings, but Springfield bounced back with three runs on three hits, a walk and an error in the last of the third. Harvard tallied in the fourth and the seventh to make it 7 to 3, but apparently Coach Norm Shepard decided that the Maroons hadn't taken enough punishment yet.

Ten Crimson batters came to the plate in the top of the eighth, and six of them scored. Yarbro started the inning with a single to right and ended it by striking out. In between, five batsmen hit safely, the Maroons made two errors, and the faces of the Springfield fans grew longer and longer.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Springfield loaded the bases in a last-ditch rally. But Yarbro, after giving two passes, got back his control and struck out the side. The Box HARVARD (13)   ab  r  h Drummey 3b  2  2  0 Bartolet 2b  6  2  3 Morse as  6  2  2 Bernstein 1b  3  1  3 Gilmor cf  5  3  1 Combs lf  4  1  1 Diehl c  5  0  2 St. George rf  5  1  3 Yarbro p  4  1  2 Total  41  13  17 SPRINGFIELD (3)   ab  r  h Halgas 2b  5  0  1 Stam ss  4  0  1 Moore cf  4  1  1 Pritchett c  3  0  0 McFayden lf  3  1  2 Tucker rf  4  1  1 Johnson 3b  2  0  0 **Silbor  1  0  0 Jacobs 1b  3  0  0 ***Sulley  0  0  0 Allen p  1  0  0 Mokrynka p  1  0  0 *Petrovee  1  0  0 Budries p  0  0  0 Thompson p  0  0  0 ****Willis  0  0  0 Totals  32  3  6

*Struck out for Mokrynka in seventh.

**Struck out for Johnson in ninth.

***Walked for Jacobs in ninth.

****Walked for Thompson in ninth. Harvard  3  1  1  1  0  0  1  6  0--13  17  1 Springfield  0  0  0  3  0  0  0  0  0--3  6  5

*Struck out for Mokrynka in seventh.

**Struck out for Johnson in ninth.

***Walked for Jacobs in ninth.