Del Rossi Stars As Varsity Beats Penn

The varsity baseball team continued on its winning ways yesterday with an 8 to 5 victory over Penn at Philadelphia. Sophomore pitcher Paul Del Rossi gained his third win in as many games and scored three runs himself to pace the Crimson's 11-hit attack.

It was Harvard's first Ivy League contest of the year. So far, Coach Norm Shepard's varsity has won seven of its eight games.

The Crimson's infield allowed only one error and was as strong at bat as in the field. Third baseman Mike Drummey, the only player to go hitless against Springfield Wednesday, got three base hits in three official trips to the plate. Second baseman Terry Bartolet and shortstop Dave Morse each collected two safeties.

Harvard scored in the top of the first as the Drummey-Bartolet-Morse trio nicely engineered a run. Drummey led off with a walk, and Bartolet's sacrifice bunt sent him to second. The third baseman crossed the plate on Morse's double to left.

In the fifth, Del Rossi doubled to center to start things off. He scored on Drummey's single, and Drummey made it three to nothing when Bartolet drove one through the hole in left.

Harvard showed its clutch capabilities in the sixth and seventh when the team scored three and two tallies respectively.

The Harvard lacrosse team arrived in the seventh, just in time to watch the boys from Penn rack up five runs. The Penn rally started when Harvard helped them load the bases on two walks and the lone Crimson error. Four Quaker singles followed to give Penn its only scoring inning.

The team travels to Ithaca tomorrow to take on Cornell. Al Yarbro, a right-hander with a 2-0 record, will pitch for Harvard.

* * * BOX SCORE Harvard (8)   ab  r  h Drummey 3b  3  3  3 Bartolet 2b  4  1  2 Morse ss  4  0  2 Bernstein 1b  4  0  0 Gilmor cf  3  0  0 Diehl c  4  0  0 St. George cf  4  0  0 Combs If  5  1  1 Del Rossi p  5  3  3   --  --  -- Totals  36  8  11 Penn (5)   ab  r  h McKinley 2b  4  0  1 English If  4  1  1 Murray p, 1b  5  0  2 Purdy rf  4  0  1 Carazo cf  4  0  0 Sturm ss  3  1  0 Zajac c  2  1  1 Rudy 3b  4  1  0 Tate 1b  2  0  0 *Lerner  1  1  1 Goldklang p  0  0  0 **Theran  1  0  0   --  --  -- Totals  34  5  7

*Singled for Tate in 7th **Struck out for Goldklang in 9th Harvard  1 0 0  0 2 3  2 0 0--8 11 1 Penn  0 0 0  0 0 0  5 0 0--5 7 0