Beer Attacks HUAC Before 100 at Rally

Says Group Marks Bad Public Policy'

Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, attacked the House Committee on Un-American Activities last as an example of "unwise public ."

before a rally in Lowell Hall, Beer emphasized what he had "practical or pragmatic reasons" opposing the Committee rather than on moral or constitutional .

The rally, arranged by the Liberal and supported by the Young Democratic Club of Harvard and Radcliffe, called to protest HUAC's current in Los Angeles. About 100 percent attended.

his talk, Beer said he did not the argument, often made by HUAC's opponents, that the Committee unconstitutional. "I think Congress the right, the duty even, to investigate the Communist party," Beer said, these "a free government has the right with the use of force or conspiracy to use such force against it."

the national chairman of American for Democratic Action emphasized legitimate investigation is entirely rent from "penalizing opinion or a conspiracy to advocate opinion."

Political expression should be commonly free." Beer contended. "I don't this because I'm indifferent to Communist propaganda--it is poisonous and be countered--but because I think communist opinion should be dealt with within the democratic propose. I oppose the Committee because it the public to disregard the of free discussion."

HUAC Needs Communists

Frank '62, a member of the national executive committee of the National Student Association, told the rally that HUAC "has a vested interest in the of the Communist party."

HUAC seems to think that the smaller Communist party gets, the more it is," Frank observed. "One these days the party is going to disappear entirely and take over the country."

said that students have persuaded a valuable service in questioning Committee-endorsed film, "Operation ," which he called a "celluloid play."

Demonstrations and rallies took place and the country yesterday to support anti-HUAC demonstrations by Angeles area students. In San Frank however, 400 students attended both for and against the Committee in the Civic Auditorium, near the of the May 1960 riots.

HUAC Needs Communists

HUAC Needs Communists

HUAC Needs Communists

HUAC Needs Communists

HUAC Needs Communists

HUAC Needs Communists