HCUA Chairman On HSA Board

The Harvard Student Agencies added a public relations man and the chairman of the HCUA to its board of directors yesterday as part of an attempt to "improve its relations with the Harvard community."

At its annual business meeting the HSA Corporation expanded the board to 17 members and appointed Paul A. Newsome '29, president of the public relations firm of Newsome and Company, and HCUA chairman Cornelius J. Minihan '63 to fill the new positions.

G. Oliver Koppell '62, president of HSA, told members of the Corporation that "we haven't had time to stress the importance of good relations with customers and suppliers."

"There is no doubt that we make mistakes," Koppell said. "However, it is important that both our own members and the community at large realize that these mistakes will be corrected and that HSA is able to fulfill the functions for which it was created."

HSA must show students that it is "responsive to their needs," Koppell continued. He expressed hope that the addition of the HCUA chairman to the board of directors would indicate the Student Agencies' "willingness to hear complaints."

Despite poor public relations, Koppell reported that the past year has been the most successful in the five-year history of the HSA. In the last six-month period of the Agencies showed a gross profit of $149,630 and paid about $50,000 in wages.

Douglas B. Harding '63 was named HSA president for the coming year, while H. Gardner Bradlee '40, vice-president of the Cambridge Trust Company, will be the new chairman of the Board of directors. Gary L. Rosenberg '64 was elected treasurer and John C. Camp '65 will be clerk.