Harvard Crushes Huskies' Hopes; NE Bows 7-4 at Splinter Stadium

Well, at least Northeastern should be satisfied. The Huskies, after much clamoring, finally got a crack at Harvard's superb varsity nine yesterday, and, as was to be expected, were soundly beaten, 7-4. The game, which was played dangerously late in the Reading Period, (and at the absurd hour of 4:15 p.m.) proved nothing except that the Crimson is far and away the best club in the Hub area, possibly including the Red Sox. That much we already knew.

To make things more colorful, coach Norm Shepard used all three of his starting pitchers for three innings spiece, and they all turned in tolerably good, although not dazzling, performances. Al Yarbro, who started, was the most effective of the three, allowing but one hit and one unearned run in his three innings.

After a fast first inning, action began in earnest in the second. Huskie pitcher Bob Mullin fanned, but then Yarbro issued a free pass to Don Darracq. Catcher Sid Natanson followed Mullin's example and earned a third strike by jumping at a Yarbro curve.

The Huskies weren't through, though. Ed Brady walked, and then Jerry Varnum hit a towering foul ball almost directly above the plate. Yarbro came off the mound and looked at it. Phil Bernstein started in from first and decided against it, as he had to hold the runner. Mike Drummey at third made the same decision. Catcher Dick Dehl circled under the ball determinedly. The ball, however, dropped foul in front of him, dribbled fair, and then rolled foul, where Diehl pounced on it.

Varnum then straightened one out into a single, and Darracq scored.

Diehi made up for his mistake by tripling Bernstein home in the bottom of the second to tie the score. Curly Combs brought Diehl in with a long fly ball, and the Crimson banner flashed in triumph.

Bernstein singled in Terry Bartolet in the third frame to increase the Harvard lead, which was thoughtful in view of the fact that Northeastern picked up another run in the fourth.

* * * Box Score Harvard (7)   ab  r  h  rbl  a  po  e Drummey, 2b  3  1  1  1  2  0  0 Bartolet, 2b  4  1  1  1  1  1  1 Morse, ss  4  1  1  1  2  4  1 Bernstein, 1b  4  1  3  2  1  7  0 Diehl, c  2  1  1  1  2  8  1 Combs, lf  3  0  1  1  0  2  0 St. George, rf  2  1  1  0  0  2  0 Karp, ef  4  1  1  0  0  3  0 Yarbro, p  1  0  0  0  0  0  0 Del Rossi, p  1  0  0  0  0  0  0 Garibaldi, p  2  0  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  32  7  10  7  10  27  3 Northeastern (4)   ab  r  h  rbi  a  po  e Schettino, rf  3  0  0  0  0  0  0 Ryan, p  1  0  0  0  0  0  0 Pierce, an  5  1  2  0  3  2  1 Heavey, 1b  4  1  0  0  2  8  0 Mullin, p, rf  5  1  2  1  1  1  0 Darracq, lf  3  1  1  1  0  1  0 Natanson, c  4  0  2  1  1  5  0 Brady, cf  2  0  0  0  1  3  2 Varnum, 3b  2  0  1  2  2  1  1 Sankey, 2b  4  0  0  0  4  2  0 Totals  33  4  8  4  14  24  4

Northeastern  010  100  002--4  8  4 Harvard  021  000  40x--7  10  3

N.E.: Mullin, Ryan 7, and Natanson: Harvard: Yarbro, Del Rossi 4, Garibaldi 7, and Diehl.

2B: St. George; 3B: Diehl. SO: Yarbro 3, Del Rossi 2, Garibaldi 3, Mullin 2, Ryan 1. BB: Yarbro 2, Del Rossi 3, Garibaldi 2, Mullin 2. WP: Mullin. W--Del Rossi; L--Mullin.

* * *

Things continued on an even keel until the seventh, with Mullin not looking terribly good for Northeastern, and Del Rossi obviously having trouble adjusting to the role of reliever.

Then in the seventh Bobby St. George doubled and Fred Karp singled him home. Drummey attempted a squeeze bunt but got to first when Varnum died around with his bunt down the third base line. Bartoiet singled to score Karp, and Huskle coach Tinker Connelly released Mullin from further mound duties.

Morse greeted the new pitcher, Ryan, with a sharp single, which could have scored two runs but for the unexpectedly good throwing arm of center fielder Ed Brady, who threw out Bartolet at the plate. Bernstein made up for the lose by singling Morse home, however.

Northeastern attempted an abortive rally with two outs in the ninth, but the only effect of the ill-starred venture was to delay everybody's dinner ten minutes.

Del Rossi was credited with the win, his ninth of the year, against but on defeat (to Yale of all people).

Yesterday's game concluded regular season action at Soldiers Field (otherwise known as Splinter Stadium or Kindlingstick Park). The Crimson's record is now 18-4, 7-2 in the Eastern League, and 6-0 in the Greater Boston League. For their play in the GBL, Drummey, Morse, Bartolet, and Del Rossi should get all-star awards at the league banquet today.

* * *

* * *