Squirrel Attacks Alarm Officials

Two Yard Incidents Spur Investigations Of Rabies Scare

Two separate incidents of squirrel attacks on persons in the Yard yesterday afternoon have forced University Health officials to consider the disturbing possibility of a rabies epidemic among Yard fauna.

At 10 a.m. James H. Frantz '63 was bitten by a squirrel that jumped at him from the path in front of Sever Hall. Less than two hours later, Mrs. William D. Sciurus, wife of an instructor in Chemistry, successfully fought off with her umbrella another squirrel that sprang at her from a tree in front of Memorial Church. Frantz has been started on Pasteur treatments in case the animal was rabid.

A spokesman for the Health Services said that even tame squirrels never approach humans unless food is offered them, and an unprovoked attack is so unusual "that we must take all precautions against further bitings until we are sure one way or the other." He urged people to avoid going through the Yard unless absolutely necessary, commenting "A few extra minutes of walking is not so terrible; rabies is not something to take chances with."

Only One Cure

Dr. Paul R. Chernoff, visiting lecturer on animal immunology at the Medical School, explained that rabies is a viruscaused disease of the nervous system that can be transmitted among numerous species including humans. The only known cure is the one Pasteur devised: a long series of injections that must be begun immediately following a suspicious bite.

The only way to determine the presence of rabies among Yard squirrels, Chernoff said, is "to capture as many of them as possible and run serological tests." He warned that "even if as few as one per cent of the squirrels are infected in all likelihood the entire squirrel population in the Yard will have to be exterminated with poisoned bait." State public health officials have already been notified of the danger.

Persons who must enter the Yard should carry a short stick or umbrella with them to ward off lunging squirrels. "Even a rabid squirrel can be routed by a sharp blow on the nose," Chernoff said.

Nets, Shotguns, Police

Public Health squads will enter the Yard this morning to round up about fifty squirrels for blood tests. They will be armed with nets and shotguns. University police will be present to keep students from interfering with the expedition.

"It is too early to give any more specific advice," Chernoff told the CRIMSON. "The moment we can confirm the presence of rabies, action will be taken. In the meantime let all remain calm but wary. And above all do not think of our Yard squirrels as cute little pets: they are potential murderers."