All Cambridge Toasts Al Vellucci; Kennedy Asks Immigration Change

By Bruce L. Paisner

It was "Al for all and all for Al" as more than 600 people jammed Longfellow Auditorium last night for a testimonial dinner in honor of Cambridge City Councillor Alfred E. Vellucci.

The guest speaker, Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy '54 called Vellucci "one of Massachusetts' great human resources-a man who has dedicated himself to the public interest and good."

Kennedy applauded Vellucci for "fighting for the rights of the working man and all the citizens of Cambridge." "To further Al's work," Kennedy declared, "we must meet our responsibility to our fellow citizens by striving to see the McCarran-Walter Immigration Act eliminated."

"Only when the Act has been repealed," Kennedy said, "can we have the respect of peoples throughout the world." Kennedy is a candidate for the Democratic nomination to represent Massachusetts in the United States Senate.

Among the other distinguished head table guests were Congressman Thomas P. O'Neill, Edward A. Crane '35, Mayor of Cambridge, John J. Curry '19, Cambridge City Manager, and Howard Fitzpatrick, Sheriff of Middlesex County.

Fitzpatrick appointed Vellucci an Honorary Sheriff, citing his "special trust in Al's character and integrity." The office carries no particular duties.

In his speech, Kennedy declared himself "honored to be among the many friends of Al Vellucci," and asserted that "all the people of the nation owe a debt to Al for his contributions, conviction, and dedication." "Your riches are greater than the treasures of kings," Kennedy told Vellucci.

Vellucci Toasted

John J. Toomey, State Representative from Middlesex County, called Vellucci "a credit to the people of Cambridge and a representative of all the people." James J. Madden, a professor at the University of Dublin in Ireland, proposed an "Irish toast to Al" (a poem which the professor had composed himself) and then proceeded to tell several unscholarly jokes.

The appreciation dinner was sponsored by the Amvets Women's Auxiliary, Paul A. Dutra Post No. 71 of East Cambridge. Many of the people in East Cambridge have long regarded Vellucci as "Our Councillor"-the theme of the banquet.