Mahout, Money Asked For Harvard Elephant

Excitement in the College is growing over the prospect of a Harvard entrant in the first intercollegiate elephant race to be held in Fullerton, Calif. on May 11. A check with Ernest Becker, Dean of Students at Orange State, revealed last night that three elephants are definitely entered.

Orange State, Fullerton Jr. College, and California Polytech have signed up so far, and Cal. Tech is debating the possibilities. The Coast Guard entrant folded when the director of public relations was forced to admit their animal was only a white elephant after Coast Guard officials became suspicious.

Richard Nixon, California gubernatorial candidate, yesterday sent race officials a telegram saying he had been "involved in a few such races myself. I know there is more to the fine art of pachyderm pacing than meets the eye. It is perhaps a sign of the times."

The CRIMSON sports department has begun negotiations for renting an elephant. Major problems right now include finding a mahout and financing the venture. Anyone having mahout experience or anyone wishing to contribute to the Harvard effort is urged to call the CRIMSON office tomorrow at KI 7-2811. Harvard participation has not yet been officially approved, but it is hoped there will be no major complications.

The race has already attracted world-wide attention, and there is a possibility that it will be televised. Join in the effort! Keep the Crimson in triumph flashing, even on elephants.