Nieman Fellows

Harvard University has appointed five foreign journalists as Associate Nieman Fellows for the academic year 1962-63.

Paul Kidd, 29, feature writer, Hamilton (Ont.) Spectator, will be the second holder of the Canadian Fellowship, sponsored by the Reader's Digest Association of Canada. A native of England, where he started newspaper work on the Evening Chronicle of Newcastle-on-Tyne, Kidd has been six years on the Hamilton paper. He plans to study Latin America.

Robert Steyn, a reporter from Cape Argus, Cape Town, is sponsored by the South African Leader Exchange program with a grant from the Johnson Foundation of Racine, Wis.

The Asia Foundation is again sponsoring three Asian Fellowships:

Pun Chiu-yin, city editor, Sing Tao Evening News, Hong Kong. He studied economics at Canton University, has been on the Sing Tao staff since 1946. He plans to study history and philosophy.

Kim Yong-koo, director of the Press Center of Korea Times. The Press Center is an institute for ethical journalism, maintained by the Korean newspapers. He plans to study international affairs.

Nguyen Thai, former director of the Vietnam Press Bureau at Saigon, has studied in America before. He has an M.A. from Cornell and was working on a Ph.D. at the University of Michigan this year.