Columbia, Brown Kick off Ivy Season

Ivy League Outlook

After a long September of pre-season preparation, the members of America's oldest football fraternity venture out of the safety of their practice fields. Today will be the first chance to evaluate the work of the coaches and start seeing how much of the pre-season speculation was valid.

Columbia entertains Brown in the only all Ivy game. The Bruins upset Colgate last week (a event which caused a minor riot among Brown's unbelieving but deliriously happy student body), but they don't appear to have the talent to upand Columbia. The game's chief interest will probably be the performance of highly touted Lion quarterback Archie Roberts. If he is as good as they say, Columbia will win by three or more TD's.

U.Mass journeys to the Hills of Hanover, and it is pretty certain that it will provide the first scalp for Bob Blackman's powerful Indians. Dartmouth by 14 points here.

Penn will host Lafayette, giving the Quakers the first opportunity to try out coach John Steigman's three platoon system. The game is a toss-up, but we like Penn by a point or so.

Colgate, still trying to figure out why it let Brown win its first game since 1960, will stumble into Ithaca, and the probability is that the Red Raiders will develop another case of poison ivy--at least a touchdown's worth.

Princeton welcomes Rutgers, and we think that welcome will not prove overly friendly. Everyone in the League will be watching to see how good that Tiger backfield really is. It should be good enough to win by one or two TDs.