Finley Squelches Student Appeal For Longer Dartmouth Friday Parietals

HCUA Will Continue Rules Study

"If people want glorious and happy weekends, they shouldn't come to college. They should join, a labor union," John H. Finley Jr. '25, Master of Eliot House, reportedly told the HCUA Sunday.

R. Thomas Seymour '64, chairman of the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs, said last night that Finley's comment came in response to his request that Friday night parietals be extended until midnight for the Dartmouth weekend.

The Masters have already approved late Friday night hours for the Princeton weekend. This is traditional for the Princeton or Yale game, one of which is always in Cambridge.

Seymour revealed at last night's Council meeting that he had sent a letter last Thursday to Finley, senior member of the Masters Committee, asking that the Dartmouth extension be granted. His letter was an independent request, which he suggested would be endorsed by House Committees if Masters were to consult them.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, reacted negatively to Seymour's request, since it was submitted the day following the last meeting of the Masters before Dartmouth weekend. "The Masters are not usually disposed to decide important questions like this over the phone," Taylor said.

The suggestion of late Dartmouth parietals was originally included in the HCUA Parietals Committee report, which was referred back to the committee last week for study of "the philosophical basis of parietals." The HCUA sent no formal request for this extension to the Masters.