'Cliffies Begin Drive For Free Game Tickets

Radcliffe administrators and students are beginning separate investigations to find out why 'Cliffies are not issued free tickets to Harvard athletic events.

Miss Mary G. Paget, Co-ordinator of Recreational Activities at Radcliffe, raised the question at a meeting of Radcliffe officials. President Bunting announced yesterday that she was "looking into the matter."

Following a Monday meeting of the Executive Committee of Radcliffe Government Association, Lois M. Rieser '64, RGA president said, "The executive committee finds the question of tickets for Radcliffe students an appropriate matter for discussion, and now is an appropriate time to bring it up."

Despite the discussions, meetings, and investigations, no action seems yet to have been taken. Harvard Acting Director of Athletics Adolph W. Samborski '25 said, "As far as I know, no official request has yet been made for a hearing on the matter before the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports.

"My personal answer to the question, if it were raised, would be that Harvard and Radcliffe athletics have always been handled separately. They are Radcliffe students and these are Harvard games."

But Samborski added that total athletic segregation of the two, schools does not exist. Radcliffe students are allowed to use the skating rink, the tennis courts, and occasionally the swimming pool--all Harvard facilities.

As far as the stadium is concerned, however, 'Cliffies have had approximate equality with girls from Wellesley, Simmons, Wheaton, or, for that matter, Northern Illinois State Teachers College--to get in, they need dates.

Since the tickets given Harvard students are paid for out of Harvard tuition fees, whether Radcliffe students should also get tickets seems to be a question of what services are paid for by the Radcliffe tuition money annually transferred to Harvard.

Radcliffe Comptroller Robert J. Maguire said, "Our money goes to pay for our share of instruction and library fees, but there are also other costs involved that are not clearly defined. I couldn't really say just what the tuition money we turn over to Harvard is supposed to cover."