Thieves Sack Dillon Field House

An estimated $1200 worth of athletic equipment was stolen from Dillon Feld House last Saturday night or early Sunday morning, reliable sources in the Athletic Department said yesterday.

The thieves apparently vaulted the Soldiers Field fence, broke a storage room window, and jimmied open the cage where the equipment was stored. Authorities suspect that someone familiar with the Field House was involved, a source said, since all the stolen goods were from stored supplies; equipment in the open was left behind.

Included in the robbers' haul were 19 varsity hockey jerseys, a number of goalie pads, goalie catcher's mitts, and hockey helmets, as well as several varsity football shirts.

The Detective Bureau of the Boston Police Department, which has joined the University Police on the case, estimated the value of the missing equipment at $2000, but the Athletic Department source said the figure is closer to $1200.

Chief Robert Tonis of the University Police refused to release any further information on security measures that have been taken in the Soldiers Field area.

The police have followed up several leads on the robbery, but as yet the booty is unrecovered.