200 Will Protest U.S.-Viet Policy At Nhu Speech

Tocsin and other student peace groups will demonstrate at Mme. Ngo Dinh Nhu's speech Monday night to protest American intervention in South Vietnam and to demand free elections in that country.

John Ehrenreich '63-4 estimated that 200 students from Harvard, Radcliffe, Boston University, Brandeis, M.I.T., and other schools would demonstrate at Rindge Tech Auditorium, where Mme. Nhu is scheduled to speak. He said that the other peace and disarmament groups had given Tocsin a "carte blanche" to organize the protest.

Tocsin members unanimously approved last night a policy statement calling for internationally supervised elections under the 1954 Geneva accord. The statement condemned the war in South Vietnam as a hindrance to the achievement of self-determination and peaceful economic progress and deplored the use of torture and chemical warfare by the South Vietnamese government.

The Geneva agreement, cited by the group, set up an International Control Commission composed of India, Poland, and Canada to organize reunification of North and South Vietnam and to conduct free elections. No elections have yet taken place.

Tocsin criticized U.S. support of the Ngo Dinh Diem government, calling it unpopular and dictatorial. The group said that self-determination should be the first goal of American policy in South Vietnam.