Students to Help Bring 'Endeavour'

Six Harvard students will help sail Endeavour I, a famous British racing schooner, from England to the United States next June. The vessel will be the first ship in the marine museum to be established at Newport, R.I.

The 130 foot Endeavour "probably came closer to winning the America Cup than any other British boat," according to John Millar '64. Millar originated the idea for the Newport Museum and has been active in preparing for the schooner's transatlantic voyage. This summer he traveled to England to inspect Endeavour.

Harvard men will comprise more than half the crew of 12 bringing Endeavour to this country. Besides Millar and five other members of the Harvard Yacht Club, Dr. Benjamin G. Ferris, Jr. '40, the University's Environmental Health and Safety Officer, will aid in handling the vessel.

"Life" Will Report

Norris Hoyt, the oldest non-Harvard member of the Yacht Club, will be the skipper. He has already been commissioned by Life magazine to do an article on the voyage, which will appear in an issue at the end of July or the beginning of August.

The Newport Marine Museum will be established under the suspices of the Newport Historical Society. Present plans call for the purchase of two or three other boats within the next several years, Millar said. Shamrock V, which challenged for the America Cup in 1930, would probably be the first of these. The U.S.S. Constellation, a sister ship of the Constitution, and the schooner Atlantic, which holds the record for crossing the Atlantic under sail, are also under consideration.

The possibility that the Endeavour will enter the Lisbon-Bermuda transatlantic race is strong, according to Millar. If the Endeavour does enter she will be competing against an international Sotilla of training vessels. Presumably included among these would be American entries from the Coast Guard Academy and the Naval Academy.