Indoor Tennis Courts Available To All Students

Tennis coach Jack Barnaby promised Saturday that "as far as I have anything to do with it," the University's three indoor play tennis courts will be available to any students or Faculty members who wish to use them.

"We have always conceived of these courts as a University facility," Barnaby said, "and although our plans aren't final yet, I'm certainly going to try to that everyone can play on these ."

The only 12 clay courts now available at the College are presently reserved for the use of the varsity and freshman ds. Barnaby said he thought the ms would also be given priority on indoor courts on afternoons during spring and fall tennis seasons. Other people might play in the mornings, or at , he noted.

During the winter he added, one of the three courts might be reserved for use of the varsity, "but we'll have to . Whatever program we start out with first is certain to be wrong. We'll experiment as we go along."

The three indoor clay courts, located scent to the varsity's courts at Soldiers Field, are scheduled to open next month. The playing surface will be the same as that of the other clay courts, although the lack of rain is likely to make them harder than the outside courts.

The availability of indoor clay courts es the tennis team an unusual flexibility in drawing up its schedule. Teams m other sections of the country have ways been reluctant to visit Harvard on the past, for fear of a rainout.