Bulldog, Crimson Team Statistics Point to Close Match

Game at New Haven Viewed By Bettors as Even Contest

By Joseph M. Russin

The boys who make book are not known, for charity. That is why it may surprise some Harvard fans that Boston bookies are offering even odds on the football game to be played in the Bowl at New Haven this Saturday.

"I've never put much folding green on a college grid fray," said one Harvard student who preferred to remain unidentified, "but at these odds, I'm tempted to venture at least $20 on a Crimson triumph."

Pointing to previous performances as one reason for his optimism, the student added that Harvard's chances for an "Ivy football diadem" and a Big Three crown should give the Crimson sufficient incentive to overcome Yale's almost neurotic need to do well before an, estimated home crowd of 60,000 and a regional television audience.

Capital Risk

Less speculative investors, however, have been less willing to risk capital in what appears to be an attractive money market. Along with the professional betters, they dismiss past scores and variations in emotional preparation as largely irrelevant.

"When the Harvards meet the Yales," a veteran observer noted, "you can throw out the record book. Anything can happen out there in this tradition-laden clash between the nation's oldest and richest institutions. Those boys will play their hearts out for you every time."

Bookies are not in the habit of throwing away record books, and they are not very emotional, either. In fact, cold statistics are probably responsible for the pick 'em oddes currently being offered for The Game.

One student of Ivy football who agrees with the bookies yesterday gave a highly statistical reason for his position. In the six Ivy games Harvard has played, the offense has gained 48 yards more per Saturday than the defense has yielded. Against the same opponents, Yale has achieved a favorable balance of yardage of 45 yards a game. This balance usually correlates fairly accurately with Ivy standings, and it is considered to be a reliable indicator of future performance.

There are other figures that seem more important than comparative scores of win-loss records. Although not particularly spectacular, the Eli offense is second in the League, averaging 295 yards a game. More than two thirds of the forward motion has been thorugh reliable ground plays, so the Bulldog is not apt to be restrained by a rainy day and he does not normally need to risk extensive passing.

Peripetetic Harvardian

Three Yalie backs are listed among the League's ten most successful runners and all are averaging more than, four yards a trip. The most peripatetic Harvardian, Wally Grant, ranks tenth in the League with 221 yards, and it is doubtful that he will be able to run more than a few plays Saturday.

Yale's quarterback, Brian Rapp, described by scouts as "a Mike Bassett type, only not as effective," leads Bassett in total offense by almost 100 yards, nearly all of this difference gained through passes. Like Bassett, he has lost tow passes to interceptors and thrown two others for touchdowns.

Defensively the charts favor Harvard, but not be enough to make Yale think of conceding. Unusually generous at Providence last week, the Crimson is now second in the League in total defense, having allowed an average of 213.3 yards a game. Yale is fourth with a 240.5 mark.

The only intelligent conclusion these figures allow is that The Game will probably be low-scoring and rather close. In that kind of battle one big break can often determine the victor, and there has never been a definitive study of whether the robes of God are Crimson of Blue.