Analysts Predict Few Changes by LBJ

By David I. Oyama

Foreign policy and civil rights emerged--not surprisingly--as the big unanswered questions about the new President, Lyndon B. Johnson, as four Harvard professors and three Nieman Fellows discussed the assassination of President Kennedy on a special WHRB broadcast last night.

The participants in the 90 minute discussion generally agreed that President Johnson would make few immediate changes in Kennedy administration policy. They noted that Johnson as vice-President strongly supported most administration positions, including those on civil rights and the tax cut.

Most importantly, however, Johnson will tend to follow Kennedy policies, the professors agreed, because there are only a few effective working months left in his term. They also noted that Johnson will need time to formulate his own policies and to establish his own style, especially in foreign affairs.

Differences between Kennedy and Johnson were made evident, however. Stanley Hoffmann, professor of Government, said that much of the late President's appeal as a statesman lay not so much in the rubetance of his foreign policies as in "his youth and vitality. This, I'm afraid," said Hoffmann "died with him, and it will be very hard to replace."

But, said Hoffmann, some important decisions will have to be made by Johnson because events necessitate them--for example, in South Viet Nam and in relations with the Soviet Union. Unclear, perhaps contradictory, Kennedy policies in other areas--notably the Alliance for Progress--will demand further decisions. "It is absolutely impossible to prediet," said Hoffmann, "what will happen in these decisions."

Thomas Pettigrew, professor of Social Relations, said that it is not clear what effect President Kennedy's death will have on "the Negro Revolution and on Negroes."

"My first reaction was that the Negro Revolution would be slowed down, but this may have been premature," said Pettigrew. "Johnson has done just about everything possible in the last three years to prove that he is for civil rights. I don't think he has been insincere in supporting it."