Fencers Travel to Brandeis Today; Spitzer Captains Experienced Team

The despest, strongest, and most experienced team to fence for the Crimson in recent years is a heavy favorite to demolish a weak Brandeis squad in a match at the Waltham campus this afternoon. The Crimson bombed the Judges 20-7 last year.

Ten returning lettermen, led by all-Ivy epee specialist Nick Spitzer, the squad's captain, will wield swords for the Crimson. Backing them up is a spirited group of sophomores up from a Yardling team that posted a winning record last year.

The foll will probably be Harvard's strongest event all season, with returning lettermen Dan Kirach, Pete Busch, Charles Dooley, and Lloyd Ramsey being pressed by sophomores Dave Bassett and Dick Kolombatovich. Kirsch led the team with a 12th place finish in the NCAA tournament last winter, and may be even better this year.

Wielding the epee for Harvard will be the dependable pair of Spitzer and Don McCloskey, with sophomore Gary Thrane also a strong competitor.

If the Crimson has a weakness, it is probably a lack of depth and quality is the sabre, where the loss of three-year letterman Roger Barsun and last year's captain John Kennedy will be felt. But flashy sentor Paul Zygas and letterman Larry Butler return in the event and a group of sophomores will help considerably.