James to Follow HCUA on Lamont

Librarian Henry James, Jr. revealed plans yesterday to reform Lamont Library in response to a report by the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs. He promised to add reference books, reduce fines, extend hours, and study lighting, heating, ventilation, and the reserve system.

The HCUA recommended these changes recently on the basis of a poll of 2200 undergraduates. The council found most students dissatisfied with Widener, Lamont, and the House libraries.

James said he would place more dictionaries and other reference books on all levels of Lamont. Citing the "disappearance" of reference works as one of the library's major problems, he added that the new books would probably be fastened to the tables.

Though he proposed reducing fines for students who pay immediately in cash, James said he could not change Lamont's accounting system. The HCUA had criticized Lamont for adding fines to students' term bills without informing them first, but James replied that he did not have the staff to notify offenders by mail, as Widener now does.

He will try, however, to obtain approval to open Lamont on Sunday mornings during exam and reading periods, another change recommended by the HCUA.

Lighting in Lamont will be studied, and lamps may be installed on some tables in the reading rooms. James said he has visited other college libraries to gather ideas for improved lighting.

He announced plans to call in engineers for a study of ventilation and heating problems. He is also considering ways to improve the open reserve system.

James will ask the House librarians to expand their reference collections, he said. Widener has not responded to the HCUA report yet.