Gov, Ec Depts. Want No Soph. Credit Tutorial

By David M. Gordon

Neither the Economics nor the Goverment Department has any intention of extending credit for sophomore tutorial, according to the head tutors in the two departments.

There is no interest in credit for sophomore tutees in Economics, according to Harold F. Wilkinson, head tutor and Instructor in Economics. Wilkinson said that credit would only complicate the present first-year tutorial, in which those sophomores who have already had Economics 1 are separated from those who have not.

The Government Department has been no more responsive to the recent proposals for a credit tutorial. According to Sanford A. Lakoff, head tutor in Government, there have been no complaints about the present system from the members of the Department.

Lakoff said that he had discussed the History plan with the chairman of the Department, and that they "would probably bring the matter before a Department meeting in the future." He stressed, however, that there was no "likelihood" that Government would follow the move by the History Department.

The History and History and Literature Departments announced recently that they were seriously considering proposals to offer credit in sophomore tutorial. Social Studies is the only department which does so at the present.

The need to extend credit for sophomore tutorial is not very great in Government, according to Lakoff. He mentioned that there was no need for tutorial to serve as a background course, as it does in Social Studies. "If you meroly want a tutorial as a place to express ideas, then credit is unnecessary," he said.

In addition, Lakoff continued, he felt that the "Department should not force the student to overconcentrate." If sophomore tutorial were given credit, the student would account for three of the four required courses in Government by tutorials. "He would then have very little room for other courses in the Department," Lakoff concluded.