HCUA Votes to Retain Controversial NSA Ties

The Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs voted last night to continue its membership in the National Student Association by an eleven to five role-call vote. The HCUA referred the matter of selection of delegates to its NSA committee.

R. Thomas Seymour '64, chairman of the HCUA cut discussion on the issue short. He stated that the council had to vote on the matter immediately because of a motion, passed at the March 18 meeting, which required a vote at the next session.

Members of the council had previously objected to remaining in the NSA because of the political activities of the organization. At last week's meeting Evan A. Davis '66, had suggested that the HCUA might sponsor delegates, but instruct them to abstain from voting on controversial political issues. The council placed no such restriction on the delegates, however.

John R. Taylor '65, Chairman of the Combined Charities Drive, presented the report on the Harvard-Radcliffe Combined Charities. The drive had raised a total of $17,363.84 for the "Recommended" charities, of which $11,310.50 was directed by students donating the money. The rest of the money collected by Combined Charities was specifically donated to other charities not on the "recommended" list.

A committee of three, headed by Taylor, allotted the remaining funds to the eight charities. The council voted not to accept all the allotments as made by Taylor's committee. After discussion the HCUA moved to transfer the $424.25 designated by the committee for the United Fund to the PBH allotment.

The Harvard-Radcliffe World Cultural Society gained $250 from the American Friends Service Committee and $250 from the Northern Student Movement Committee. With these exceptions the Council accepted the suggestions of Taylor's committee.

In other business the HCUA moved to investigate the relationship between the Director of Student Employment, the general manager of HSA, and the Committee on Solicitation. Dustin M. Burke '52, presently holds the first two positions and is the secretary of the Committee on Solicitation.